In this digital day and age, effective offline fundraising and communication just isn’t enough anymore. As discussed in Philanthropy News Digest, it is important for fundraisers to learn the ropes of digital communication to engage donors, and help stand out in the eyes of potential donors. Philanthropy News Digest helps us understand why all organizations should keep it digitally savvy by providing us with 5 statistics for how technology is shaping fundraising:
- Online giving grew 9.2 percent on a year-over-year basis.
- 8.1% of total fundraising comes from online giving for small organizations
- 7.7% of total fundraising comes from online giving for large organizations
- 5.8 % of total fundraising comes from online giving for medium-sized organizations
- 13% year-over-year increase in online revenue is occurring
Outside of online giving, the way your organization communicates digitally also effects how your donors will give offline. Being that technology and social is much a part of peoples’ daily life, donor engagement involves effective digital communication. Philanthropy News Digest raises many questions to ponder when discussing their main article idea of diversifying your digital media skills. To keep your “digital savviness” in check, ask yourself these questions:
- Are you investing all your time and energy in offline fundraising?
- Do you know how to deploy multimedia content to enhance your fundraising strategies?
- Can you articulate why you prefer a particular web-based donor-management system over another?
- Are you engaging with your audience on their favorite platforms?
- To what extent are you using your feedback to advance your mission and up your fundraising game?
Fundraisers, help move your organization in the right direction by keeping up the good digital communication work. Thanks for reading!
Samantha Jourdan is a junior at the University of Iowa majoring in Communication Studies, minoring in Human Relations, and working towards certificates in Fundraising & Philanthropy Communication and Event Planning. She is very passionate about charitable efforts, public service, and the non-profit world in general.