As a senior at the University of Iowa, my friends and I talk a lot about plans for next year, with graduation quickly arriving. Considering I am a Communications Studies major, many of my peers and classmates are highly interested in the social media field. However, it is hard to target it on such a broad category of work and know exactly it is you want to do or who exactly you want to work for.
This being said, it is important for people to specify their interests when searching for this type of work. In order to help these desperate seniors close to graduation, here are 6 tips if interested in social media career:
- It’s a big world of social media out there. Identify why you want to be part of it.
- Know the difference between using social media personally, and social media for business.
- Get your skill set in order.
- Be data-driven: Know what data matters, what integrates, and what is just posturing.
- Understand what real online engagement is, and prove it.
- Read, subscribe, comment, interact. Find your community of knowledge.
Now all you seniors out there tired of getting asked the question “what are you planning on doing after graduation?” and tired of answering with “I am still job hunting…”, use these tips and go find yourself a job!
For more information about these tips, check out this blog: