Being that it is the month of Valentine’s Day, it’s safe to say that love is in the air. When you think of Valentine’s Day, what do you think of? I’m going to take a wild guess and say what immediately comes to mind is heart-shaped candies, chocolate, roses, and candle-lit dinners.
One important thing that is to be kept in mind during the month of “love” is giving. A Chronicle of Philanthropy article describes the significance of giving to a philanthropy with your heart. Here are 6 reasons that giving to a philanthropy demonstrates love:
1. Even though you may not have a solution to the problem at hand, love is being able to support and contribute to find the solution.
2. Love can be scary sometimes. So can donating part of your paycheck when you are new to fundraising. Diving into something you are unsure about may seem a little wary at first, but we need to challenge ourselves to be giving in these situations.
3. When you love someone, it isn’t within the blink of an eye. Love lasts, and so do your donations. The smallest gesture can make the biggest impact in the eyes of others and yourself.
4. Working with others and cooperation are incredible signs of love. Nothing opens your heart more than making connections through a philanthropy and meeting new people who are just as passionate about a cause as you are.
5. Love means trusting people. Reliability is important when it comes to donating to people who are willing to make a change.
6. Accepting change is an important aspect of a loving relationship. Within a philanthropy, change is inevitable–this is where the trust comes into play. Change is a good thing.
So, I’m going to challenge you. During this month of hearts and candy, think of what really matters. Reach into the deepest corners of your heart and find what cause you are truly passionate about and make a difference. Philanthropy must lead with the heart!
About the author: Nicole Bradley is a Journalism & Mass Communication student at the University of Iowa, and is in the process of receiving a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Outside of school, Nicole enjoys catching up on the news and is passionate about movies and the film industry.